Make a Difference
Things You Can Do to Help:
- Contact the Prime Minister or your MP, urging government to act on the opportunity to develop green aquaculture industry in Canada.
- Join our online community of supporters. We’ll keep you informed about the latest research and up to date on new initiatives and ways you can help. Sign-on today and check out past e-Newsletters & Alerts.
- Dine and shop at businesses that are protecting wild salmon by not selling net-cage farmed salmon. Find a Wild Salmon Supporter in your neighborhood!
- Write a letter to the editor of your favourite publication and government leaders.
Call for a more responsible Salmon Farming Industry – an industry that:
- Uses technology that eliminates the risks of disease and parasite transfer to wild fish as well as escapes of farmed fish into the wild;
- Guarantees untreated waste is not released into the ocean;
- Labels fish as “farmed” so consumers can make informed choices;
- Develops feed for farmed salmon that does not deplete fish stocks around the world;
- Ensures wildlife is not harmed as a result of salmon farming;
- Prohibits the use of genetically modified fish;
- Eliminates the use of chemicals, antibiotics and pesticides in salmon farming;
- Ensures contaminants in farmed salmon don’t exceed levels deemed safe by international standards; and
- Stops locating salmon farms in areas opposed by First Nations or other local communities.
Together, we can transform the salmon farming industry!